3 Years of the Missouri River 340 Race
In June 2006 I asked the question: Is Ultra-Marathon Kayak and Canoe Racing Growing? I examined a number of entries is some North American endurance paddling races: Texas Water Safari, WaterTribe Everglades Challenge, Colorado River 100 and Yukon River Quest. Among these events only participation in the Yukon River Quest (YRQ) showed a clear growing tendency.
In the following post Why the Yukon River Quest is Growing? I was looking for some answers. Carter Johnson was trying to explain the YRQ popularity by cash prizes offered in that race.
A few weeks later the first Missouri River 340 from Kansas City to St Charles was launched. No cash prizes were offered!
15 boats starting at the Kaw Point
150 boats starting at the Kaw Point
number of entries limited to 250 and only a few slots in some boat categories are left
Certainly, MR340 triggered an explosion of interest in marathon paddle racing along the lower Missouri River. Several shorter races were also born: The Kansas River “Gritty Fitty”, Kawlloween or Race for the Rivers, and it seems the local paddlers still want more racing events. That racing virus is spreading upstream reaching South Dakota …
Let’s get some insight into this MR340 phenomenon. I have asked several three time finishers to write about their racing experience on the Missouri and hope to post some stories soon.
Related posts from Missouri River 340 Races
- 2008 MR-340
- 12 Pictures from 2008 Missouri River 340 Race
- The Pitch: Missouri River 340 Stories by Carolyn Szczepanski
- Speed: My 2008 Missouri River 340 Race as Recovered from a GPS Track
- The End of My Photography during the 2008 Missouri River 340 Race
- Sunrise Paddling on the Missouri River
- 2008 Missouri River 340 Race Start in Pictures from Kaw Point
- 2007 MR-340
- 2007 Missouri River 340 Race in Pictures: 1. Kayaks and Canoes Starting at the Kaw Point
- 2007 Missouri River 340 Race in Pictures: 2. Kansas City to Boonsville
- 2007 Missouri River 340 Race in Pictures: 3. Cooper’s Landing to St Charles
- 2007 Missouri River 340 Race in Pictures: 4. At the Finish
- 2006 MR-340
- Race start at Kaw Point (Kansas City)
- From Kaw Point to Franklin Island
- From Coppers Landing to St Charles
- 7 miles of sprint to the finish
- GPS/photo race log from Missouri River 340
- Missouri River 340, August 2-6, 2006 – A new long distance race is being born
- How to Choose a Boat for an Ultra Marathon Race? The Case of Missouri River 340